OH MY WORD.
You poor souls have probably been waiting on baited breath to hear what I thought. To know how you too can take on your own 15/30 challenge as a way to pack or pare down your wardrobe and live minimally and I've let you down.
Okay, big takeaways...
First, I don't like this blue floral dress on me. Enough said. I tried quite a few times to wear it and the neckline is too open, making it hard for me to wear. It got put on the giveaway/sell pile. Also, the dresses were the least worn garments. I packed two. I'd definitely pack separates only next time or maybe just one dress.
Actually, what surprised me was how easy it was to get dressed when I had only 15 (okay 16) pieces to choose from. Waking up knowing I only had a handful of options meant I could think about an outfit more quickly. Granted, it was summer holiday, so I didn't have any elaborate occasions to dress for. That made it easy, too.
Another thing I learned was I had to be more creative with how I styled certain garments. A blouse could easily double as a light jacket/kimono and so on. I also found myself finding that it doesn't take much to make a garment feel different. Here are two ways I wore the kimono (a piece I picked up along the way) and the black and white blouse (scroll up).
Finally, I discovered in a very real and practical sense that accessories shouldn't be afterthoughts. I often throw jewellery, scarves and sunglasses on right at the end when walking out the door, while not really considering how they can really pull an outfit together. They can also be the focal point of an outfit. I have to remember that.
So there you have it, my ramblings about having a capsule wardrobe. I kept it going despite coming home ahead of schedule because it made life easy, especially when hosting my parents for a month and not having easy access to the rest of my wardrobe. I was glad to get it back...but I've been paring down what I own in a major way.
I'm hosting the Hand Me Down Collective this weekend. Details here. Hong Kongers come along!
- A Girl in LA: 25 Easy DIY Fall Decorations You Can Make This Season
- Glam By Shey: How to Put an Outfit Together
- Fashion To Live: Yayoi Kusama: Love Is Calling Exhibit: Moto Jacket + Tulle Skirt + Heels
- From The Other Side of The Mirror: Charcoal power in a Pack —Garnier Pure Charcoal Tissue Mask (Review)
- I'm a Norbyah: Packing 15/30 Challenge: Final Thoughts
- Looks By MC: Fall Fashion Colors | The Fall Color to Wear
- Mynt and Coco: A Sister's Wedding - The Sangeet
- Saccharine Soul: Back To School Outfits: Pink Pinafore & Collared Dress
- Simpleigh Me: Mules Rule
- Smile Is It: How to Wear Sneakers and Look Fashionable
- Style Fullness: Non-Boring Ways To Style Your (Boring) Black Blazer
- The Petite Bijou: How To Get Audrey Hepburn’s Signature Makeup Look SPONSOR: Shopbop Vince, KORAL ACTIVEWEAR, Etre Cecile, Alpha Industries, Maggie Marilyn, NUDE, Patent Pumps, Plaid Pants, Cocktail Dresses, Men's Club Monaco